Friday, September 20, 2013

EXCERPTS OF INTERVIEW WITH DAVID STIER, BUCKS COUNTY ARTIST

EXCERPTS OF INTERVIEW WITH DAVID STIER

Carversville neighbor David Stier is a gifted fine artist, jazz drummer, chef, and natural philosopher.  The following quotes are excerpted from a full interview David gave Philip Stephano of PrimalTweet last week in Max Hansen Carversville Grocery .   David has several paintings on exhibit at the Grocery.  We will post the rest of the interview with David Stier next week. Enjoy!

On Bucks County:
David Stier: “I always got a nice feeling from this area.  From a pretty early age I had the idea that I wanted to live here.”
DS: “All the world is special but there are certain parts of the world that are, for whatever reasons, extra special.  Like many of the painters and artists and writers and playwrights and musicians I was drawn to this area.”  


On his process:
DS: “I draw a lot. If I'm painting outside I like to go to a particular place and I like to spend a lot of time there at different times of the day...I find a place that I feel like intuitively like I can work and then I may spend a LOT of time just looking and drawing...and I may not even be drawing what's in front of me.  I may just go and draw in that space from my imagination and then look up and let things incubate slowly.”


On imagination:
DS: “I work not only from what I see in the visual world but from my imagination. The two inform each other: that is your ability to see and process the outer world informs your ability to interpret and completely reinterpret the world through your imagination. And then as you work from your imagination that also informs how you see the world…”


On light and the seasons:
DS: “Obviously light is really important to me. Every day, every part of the day, every inch a shade in my studio goes up or down changes the light and of course without light we can't see. So of course light reveals form and light has a huge influence on everything conceivable in visual art. It absolutely changes the different time of the year...I love the fall here.”

On abstraction versus realism:

DS: “I will say something about the myth of abstract art versus realism.  I feel that even paintings that are considered more realistically painted, they are first a work about abstraction...even if it is the most clearly painted like Ingres..[it] is sitting on top of many abstractions and as abstract as the most abstract thing you can imagine....underneath.”


On cooking:
DS: “I love cooking. I'm a huge fan. The more I'm in my studio, the more I'm making foods that are just going to nourish me but I'm a huge foodie.   I saw Max has one of those "Green Eggs" those Japanese style ceramic  smokers.  I cook on [my ceramic “Green Egg”] every night during the summer. I smoke things. I love cooking. I cook mostly simple things almost every day.   I don't do a lot of elaborate recipes.”
“I love meat. I'm a big fan of the burger. I like it with poblanos on top. The poblano on the burger with the right bun is some of my favorites.”


On performing jazz music:
In answer to a question about whether jazz improvisation is his “happy place.”


DS: “Um,  Yeah....yeah, if it's not tortured it is happy. (laughs) “


PrimalTweet: It's a fine line?


DS: “It IS a fine line. I think you nailed it. You know, the obvious main difference between being a musician and being a fine artist is, other than when you have a gallery opening, you are not creating while people are watching.  It's taken me years and I'll always be coming to terms with the performance element.  I do slip in and out of loving to perform for people but it is probably not my nature. I'm more of a private person that way.




The author, Philip Stephano, is a social media marketing strategist in Bucks County,  PA.  He is passionate about helping local and regional business around the country to use social media as an effective tool to find local prospects and customers. To learn more about Stephano go to http://about.me/philipstephano

No comments:

Post a Comment